1.13.2003

January 12, 2003 || 11:13 pm


It's silly the things that make us cry. Just got back from watching the Two Towers for a second time. It made me cry again. I cried when King Theoden was being outfitted for war. I cried when the elves came in full battle regalia. I cried all throughout the siege.

I didn't know why I was crying. Maybe it was movie magic. It was just all too fucking beautiful. Maybe it was for valor. Maybe for hope. But I think the closest reason is from Amos Oz. Spearing the antelope he called it. The need of men for war. Or danger. Or adventure. Or excitement. Of dreaming to spear the antelope in the heart of Africa.

So silly to cry. So silly when, to think, I never cried for "real" happenings around the world. Not when the twin towers fell. Not for the sorry state of Mindanao. Not for the hundred burnt corpses of the fire in a mansion in Kamias. Not even for my grandmother when she died.

Yet I cried for a word. For a wonderful line. For a solitary image. For a dream of spearing the antelope. For Rohan, elves and orcs. So silly.




The Golden Globes nominations are out.

Best Motion Picture - Drama
About Schmidt
Gangs of New York
The Hours
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Pianist

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
About A Boy
Adaptation
Chicago
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Nicholas Nickleby


Punch-Drunk Love is absent. It was only nominated for Actor for Adam Sandler. Also, Road to Perdition. Paul Newman got the nod for supporting actor. So is Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can.

See here for the complete list.

Ernan at 12:21 AM

0   comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment