10.14.2002

October 14, 2002 || 11:33 pm


My cellphone remembers names. You can teach it words so you don't have to spell it out exactly. It has the smart T9 dictionary function. If you use certain words frequently, it remembers them for later use. Even those outside of the English language. That's why it remembers important words such as Katipunan, punta and paalam.

I didn't know it can also forget as easily. A few days ago, a common friend texted me, asking me to forward her email address. As I was typing her name and email address, her name didn't appear. I was saddened. I never noticed how I stopped using her name. I don't want my cellphone to forget her. Not this phone. Especially since I bought it so she can easily talk to me. I never really have a need to have a cellphone.

I keyed in her name on my phone. Over and over again. So the phone won't forget. So it might learn her name again. Like a peristent tutor, I drilled it in. I filled the whole screen. I exhausted the limit.

Late eve Saturday, Alia, Chris, Alexis and I were walking towards Starbucks from Ateneo after the bonfire. We passed by Eagle's park. In between remembrances of the Heights costume Christmas party and tales of flood, I managed to squeeze in the long walks she and I used to take. We would walk the whole of Ateneo and the Miriam grounds at night. I looked at the trees and noticed how tall they are, vainly trying to see if they too remember those long dark walks.

Starbucks was full that night. There was a low, incessant drone of chattering. I focused and tried if I could hear her voice that one last night. I couldn't and the noise made my head ache. Outside, I realized how she is being rubbed off everything. How everything starts forgetting her. Even my cellphone. But I don't want them to. No, not yet.

Not yet.




Forgive me. I slept all day and this is fast becoming a long night.

Ernan at 11:57 PM

0   comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment