10.13.2002

October 13, 2002 || 4:30 am


I can't sing for shit.

It's true. Everybody knows it and I don't deny it. How can you deny a gargling noise or monotone syncopation? When I was a kid, it used to bother me. I remember Alexis (not you Eggy) trying to teach me "Could've Been" in front of Mr. Dejarme's house. "The flowers you gave me are just about to die."

Well, the flowers did die and my voice wasn't better because of it. Not even with all those afternoon voice exercises when I joined the elementary choir. I was bass. They said to lower my voice. I lowered my chin. At least I tried. I got to sing only once at mass.

But after listening to myself sing for how many years, I got used to my own voice. And now, most of the time, when I sing, I honestly believe that I'm in the right tune. It's all in the head. I am past caring whether I am or not. It matters only that I enjoy the tune and I know that I get it. So there goes the la la.

When people first hear me sing, they usually smile politely or tell me right off to stop. Usually I just smile and continue anyway. They'll get used to my voice. You get used to everything. Even hell.

Ernan at 4:31 AM

0   comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment